3 min read
Vitamin C, also known as Ascorbic acid, is necessary for the growth, development, and repair of all body tissues. It has been much hyped about in skincare in the form of serums due to the amazing benefits one can get through it. Skin experts recommend using Vitamin C serum as a part of the morning ritual for bright and healthy skin.
VITAMIN C SERUM
- It’s hydrating
Allows the skin to retain moisture better
- Brightens the skin
It helps to give the skin a fresh feel
- Helps fade hyperpigmentation
Vit C has been shown to slow-down the melanin production, which can help reduce dark spots, sun spots, and areas that seem darker compared to the rest of the face
- Promotes collagen production
Collagen helps the skin maintain elasticity, therefore reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Protects against sun damage
Being an excellent antioxidant, Vit. C helps reduce the damage caused by the free radicals on our skin
- Creating an even skin tone
By reducing the appearance of redness and dullness on the skin, Vit C helps in balancing the skin tone giving it an even tone.
2 WHICH SKIN TYPES CAN USE VITAMIN C SERUM?
This serum is suitable for almost all skin types and is well-tolerated. However, people with hypersensitive skin may experience minor irritation.
All skin products have the potential to cause side effects. A patch test is important to assess your risk for allergic reactions. Here are some simple steps to perform before using the serum:
- Select a small area of skin that’s easy to conceal, like your forearm.
- Apply a small amount of product and wait for 24 hours.
- If no side effects occur, you can apply to your face. Discontinue use if you develop a rash, redness, or hives.
3 HOW TO USE THE SERUM PROPERLY?
- As with any other serums, it is essential to follow proper steps while using this serum in order to get the maximum benefits and see visible results.
- The basic steps are as follows:
Cleanse → tone( optional) → vitamin C serum → moisturize → sun protection
It is a must to always use sunscreen while using Vit. C. Sunscreen and vitamin C are a dynamic pair that work together to protect your skin from damage
4 HOW MANY TIMES SHOULD IT BE APPLIED?
- Vitamin C serum is typically applied once or twice per day. But most experts believe that using it once a day in the morning is enough.
- It should be kept in mind that only a small amount of serum should be applied as they contain potent ingredients. Applying in excess quantity can irritate the skin.
5 WHICH INGREDIENTS SHOULD WE LOOK FOR?
- When buying Vit. C serums, look for L-ascorbic acid. This is the most stable and effective form of Vit. C for the skin.
- Look for concentration anywhere between 10-20 percent.
- The packaging of these serums should be in dark bottles, as Vit C tends to break down when it is exposed to light or air. therefore, they should be stored in dark bottles to maintain stability.
6 WHICH SKINCARE INGREDIENTS TO NEVER MIX WHILE USING VIT. C?
There are tons of skin care products available and, if you are obsessed with skincare, you might want to try it all. But some ingredients when used together do not work well. Instead, either the efficiency of both of them is decreased or sometimes, it causes irritation on the skin. So here are some ingredients to avoid using together with Vit C serums.
- AHAs and BHAs like glycolic, salicylic, and lactic acids
- Retinol (use retinol at night and vitamin C in the morning if you want to use both)
So, to summarize Vit C is an amazing ingredient to incorporate in skincare. It helps heal the skin, reduces blemishes, and hyperpigmentation within 4 to 6 weeks of use along with giving the skin the glow that you have always desired. And as always consistency is the key to get maximum results.