3 min read
Rice water is simply the milky fluid left over from washing rice. Some of you might have heard about it and it’s amazing benefits on hair and skin, but many of you might also find it quite strange. Using rice water is not something new. Women in China, Japan, and Southeast Asia have used rice water for skin and hair for centuries.
So, let us discuss how to make and use this, and its benefits on hair and skin.
RICE WATER: PREPARATION, USES, AND BENEFITS
1 How to make it?
There are two types of rice water: Plain and fermented
2 How to make plain rice water?
- First, rinse the uncooked rice with about a cup of water to remove any dirt or impurities.
- Next, place the rice in a bowl and cover it with water. Let the rice soak for 15 to 30 minutes. After 15-30 minutes, swirl it around until the water turns cloudy. This will help the vitamins and minerals seep into the water
- Then, strain out the water into a clean bowl and it is ready to use
3 How to make fermented rice water?
- For this first, follow the steps needed to make the plain rice water
- Once it is ready, leave it at room temperature for a day or until it turns slightly sour, which means that it has started to ferment.
- It can take anywhere from 24 to 48 hours, depending on how warm it is.
- You can store it in the fridge and use it for up to a week.
- Shake well before use.
- Fermented rice water is quite potent, so you may need to dilute it with a cup or two of warm water before use.
- It is believed that the fermented rice water is more beneficial due to higher amounts of antioxidants.
4 How to use rice water for hair?
- After shampooing, pour the rice water on clean and wet hair.
- Then, gently massage your scalp and hair and leave it on for 5 to 10 minutes. Then rinse your hair thoroughly with water.
- Use it once or twice a week as the last rinse.
You can try adding a little essential oil to give it a pleasant smell.
5 Benefits on hair:
- It tames frizzy hair making it smoother.
- The amino acids present in it helps in the regeneration of hair and aids faster growth of your hair.
- Additionally, it contains vitamins B, C, and E, which further help in hair growth.
- Rice water decreases surface friction and improves elasticity. The inositol in it shields your hair from further damage.
- It has anti-dandruff, anti-itch and anti-hair fall properties
- This has also been known to help oil control on the scalp.
6 How to use rice water for skin?
- For using rice water on your face, you can store it in a spray bottle
- After cleansing your face properly, you can spray this rice water as a toner or a mist
- Alternatively, you can soak a cotton ball in rice water and apply it all over your face
- Then, let it dry off on your face
- You may wash your face or leave it as it is and moisturize your face.
- Use every day for the best results.
7 Benefits on skin:
- Minimizes the appearance of pores and tighten skin
- It helps lighten the skin or reduce dark patches
- Due to the antioxidant properties, rice water has amazing anti-aging benefits keeping your skin supple and preventing wrinkles.
- Rice water soothes the skin and helps reduce blemishes
- It has also been shown to protect against the damaging effects of the sun